16 June 2008

20 Weeks

And we're halfway there! It's so amazing to have made it this far. It feels like such a milestone. I am so grateful that things have been going smoothly. Just keep cooking, little one...we can be patient!

This week has been busy, busy. There hasn't been any time to slow down and remember I'm pregnant. Thankfully I've been feeling good and able to keep up with all the summer fun! Steve and Rita came down Friday night for a Father's Day trip to Saint Simon's Island. We had a blast chilling out and checking out the town. Saint Simon's is one of Kit and my favorite places to go...and it was fun to share it with them. Steve is a big lover of lighthouses so all four of us made the 129-step climb up to the top (see, I told you there's no time to remember I'm pregnant!). I was definitely wo' out after that adventure. But, the view was amazing...so it was totally worth it.


We also went kayaking through the marsh our last morning there. Kit and I have done it before and loved it...so, we thought it would be a great activity. I did at least have some sense about me and suggested that Kit and I go in a double kayak instead of trying to do all the work of a single one myself. Turns out that was the way to go. I felt fine and was able to paddle strong...but, I definitely had moments of weakness that I was glad to be able to honor. Thanks for doing most of the paddling, babe!


And there is a reason I am being sensitive about what I try to do. Earlier this week I was getting ready to take our load of recycling to the center. I checked the container and noticed that it was pretty heavy. So I said to myself, "Ok, I'll just be sure to use my legs." (Cause that's what they always say...lift with your legs, not your back, right?) Well, I guess I overestimated my understanding of what "lifting with your legs" was...because as soon as I lifted that container I heard an audible "snap!" coming from my lower back. I was so scared. The pain was pretty intense for most of the day, but luckily it only lasted for a few days and no real damage was done. But let me tell you, people...I have learned my lesson! I thought all that talk of pregnant women not lifting was just people being overly cautious. Oh the things I have to learn...

I am starting to be able to feel more movement from the little one. I can't stress how lovely this feeling is. It still doesn't feel like "kicks"...and it's still not consistent. I don't usually feel anything if I'm walking or moving around. And it seems that maybe the car puts it to sleep too. We had a long car ride this weekend and I didn't notice any movement while we were riding. I notice most of the movement when I am still and when I am eating. Baby definitely loves chocolate (or at least that's my excuse)! ;) I know this sounds so sappy, but everytime I feel the baby move I am struck with such a feeling of awe at how incredible this whole process is. I mean, I have a little person, a new soul, a child of God growing inside me. I'm sure there will come a time when the kicks will lose their awe and just become part of the routine. But for now I'm enjoying experiencing the mystery and miracle of it all.

We'll be having another look at the little one this week. For the most part I am excited...although there is still a part of me that gets anxious when I think about ultrasounds. When I do have anxious and fearful thoughts, I'm trying to just give them to God and acknowledge that I am not in control of this pregnancy. If little one cooperates we should also find out the sex. I realized last night that if baby decides to keep the little legs closed...I will totally be ok with it. But, I definitely don't think the rest of our friends and family would be. ;)

Hope everyone is having a great week! Thanks again for sharing in this special and exciting leg of our journey.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Believe me - the little kicks will never loose their awe. Especially when you can feel the baby doing flips. It's an amazing feeling you will never forget! :)

pageikeda said...

cant wait to hear the big news if baby allows a peak.