25 August 2008

30 Weeks

How you feelin'?  Hot Hot Hot!  Human oven, Laura Hughes, reporting from Get-these-covers-off-of-me, Georgia. ;)  The term "bun in the oven" has never felt so relevant.  I have always been a sleep with the covers kind of gal.  Even in the summer I like the safety and comfort of being all covered up.  Not anymore!  Now I am a side-sleeping, no cover wearing, body pillow hugging girl who wakes up at least three times a night to pee.  Gone are the days of falling asleep on my back all nestled in my covers ready for a perfectly uninterrupted 8-9 hours of sleep.  Now I'm dealing with the prospect on any given night I might wake up to pee and not be able to fall back asleep for several hours.  I'm not sure who this new person is... 

Well, I'm afraid this week has been the calm before the storm.  After this week we enter into no-free-weekend zone.  Every weekend between now and the end of September we have something baby related going on.  And our weekdays are filled too with pediatrician interviews, hospital tours and child-birthing classes.  Thankfully by the time October gets here things won't be so hectic.  I've tried to schedule all our going-ons before October just in case little missy comes early.  But, I'm hoping she'll stay right on schedule and we'll be able to relax and nest during my favorite month of the year.  And did I mention we're down to 10 weeks left!

This has been the week of "You're how far along??  You're kidding!"  I definitely would not say that I'm "carrying small"...Lord knows I have packed on plenty of new weight.  But, I am carrying spread out and not all right out in front.  This has the joyous effect of simply making me look fat...and not pregnant.  At least not to strangers.  And for those of you who are about to say, "No, Laura...you definitely look pregnant!"...I have to tell you I met a couple this weekend who could not tell I was pregnant.  We were eating at a restaurant for a friend's birthday and they asked what was good.  I told them the last time I was there I had really bad morning sickness so nothing really seemed good.  They proceeded to ask how old my child was!  I said, "Um, well about 7 months" and patted my belly.  They went on and on about they couldn't even tell I was pregnant.  I think I would take it as a compliment if I hadn't already gained so much weight.  I think maybe it also depends on what I wear.  I need to be rocking more high waisted shirts so I can take advantage of the kindness of strangers while I can. ;)  

I had another Dr.'s appointment this week and everything looks good.  I asked the Dr. about how I am carrying and if I should be concerned that the baby isn't growing enough.  Her words were, "Don't worry.  Sometimes first babies 'hide'."  She said as long as I'm feeling consistent movement (and boy am I ever!) and measuring on track all should be good.  Baby B's heartbeat was still going strong.

For the past couple of weeks I have been having what I think are Braxton Hicks contractions sporadically.  I'm not having them very much...not even everyday.  They're coming maybe once or twice every few days.  When it happens my belly gets really tight like everything is tensing up.  And it usually feels like my uterus is pressing directly on my bladder.  Whenever it happens I either have to sit still until it passes...or make a beeline for the bathroom.  I wouldn't say that they're painful...it's just a weird sensation.

I am so excited for our trip to Paducah this weekend!  It will be our last trip until B gets here.  The Hughes are throwing us a shower which should be a lot of fun.  Plus it will be good to spend time with the family.  Hope you all have a safe and fun Labor Day weekend!

No comments: