19 April 2008

Celebrating Lisa

This Friday we're heading to the Bahamas for a weekend of celebrating Lisa's life.  The place where we are going is Lisa's "happy place" and full of summer memories for Lisa and her family.  Many, many thanks to Doug and Lynn for hosting our trip and letting us be a part of such a uniquely Lisa experience.

For those of you that I haven't shared this with, I'll tell you a little about what this trip is involving.  Back in February Lisa's family took her ashes down to the Bahamas and went through the arduous and emotional task of making a memorial reef.  I had never heard of anything like this before!  Lynn & Doug described the process to us when they came home.  Basically you take your loved one's ashes and mix them with concrete to form a memorial structure (man-made reef) to be placed in the ocean.  They said it was physically hard work, not to mention the tears.  The memorial reef serves two functions: 1) It provides a permanent living legacy for your deceased loved one. 2) The reef helps to support and revitalize the ecosystem in the ocean.  That's our Lisa, giving and contributing even in her death.  

So, about 45 of Lisa's friends and family are making the trip to witness the placing of her memorial reef.  Her new home.  And once it is in the ocean we get to snorkel around and check it out.  I'm sure it will be a joyous, yet emotional day.

Prayers for safe travels are greatly appreciated.  We'll also take any extra prayers for strength. ;)  I know this is a trip of celebration in a wildly beautiful part of the world.  But, it's still hard to think about the reason we are making this trip without getting that familiar lump in my throat.

We love you, Lisa!  And we miss you like crazy.  I hope our efforts to honor and celebrate your life make you smile.  You always did have the best smile.

As only Lisa could say...Rock Out!!

2 comments:

Kristen Popham said...

AMEN!! PS love the widget! It helps me with the time table I struggle to keep up with :)

Lesli said...

I hope you have a great trip & are able to celebrate her life & all of your memories with her! Although I never knew her, she is such an inspiration to me. I'm thankful that you were able to know her. Love you!!!