13 October 2008

36-37 Weeks

I have definitely felt a shift the past two weeks.  I've been feeling the final month "blahs" everyone always talks about.  And now I understand how women in their last month of pregnancy walk around saying, "I just want this baby out!"  Which is really just funny to me because last month I remember one day thinking, "I'm going to be so sad when she's not in my belly anymore.  I'm going to miss having her with me all the time and feeling her little kicks."  I guess the final month of pregnancy is God's way of preparing us to be ready to do the work of labor and let go of being pregnant.  I've been comparing it to having a teenager.  I've heard that the final teenage years are so difficult so that both the kid & the parents can be ready for the "separation".  Maybe this is a little something like that.

Now this paragraph is really just so I can remember how things are...so, if you don't want to hear all my "woe is me" chatter just skip ahead.  I know the complaining is annoying.  So, I had SEVERAL days last week of funky, funky intestinal stuff (won't go into details).  I was so sure that it was going to last until the end.  I was in so much pain one day I wondered if I was actually in labor!  I also have the dreaded swollen feet...which I was so proud that I didn't have up until now.  And unfortunately I do alot of walking at work which is pretty painful for my swelled up feet shoved into my work shoes.  And there's definitely no point in buying new shoes at this point.  Speaking of shoes, I'm now so big putting on my shoes (or rather socks & knee highs) is a major ordeal with lots of deep breaths & grunting.  Nice.  But, despite all of the pain & annoyances I am still so in love with this girl.  Sure, her movements are bigger and take up more space.  But, I still can't help feeling giddy whenever she starts dancing. 
 
I've started my weekly midwife appointments.  I tested negative for the strep B virus which is good.  And baby is head down and ready to go!  It's so cool that they can tell that just from feeling around on your belly.  The first time she did it and said that B was head down I said, "How can you tell??"  She just gave me a look like, "Silly girl...this is my JOB."  But, I didn't give her time to say that...I just said, "Oh yeah, that's your job."  So, now I know it's not her head I've been feeling press against my belly button...but, probably her little baby butt!  They'll start checking my dilation status next week.  Oh yeah, and as of today I'm officially "full term"...so, at this point it's B's game and she can start choosing her birthday!  We pretty much have everything ready.  Carseat installed: check.  Clothes washed: check.  Diapers stocked:  check.  Clean sheets on the cradle: check.  Arms ready to hold: CHECK!  Kit and I are both relaxed about the fact that it's ok if there are things left unfinished.  We're just so ready for her to be here!

The highlight of the past few weeks was going to see Wicked at the Fox last week.  I went with Kristen and one of her good friends, Shannon.  I was hesitant to let Kristen get me a ticket at first because I wasn't sure how I was going to be feeling...or wether or not baby girl would be here.  But, I'm so glad I went!  I haven't been to a musical in so long...and we had GREAT seats.  It is a fun show with lovable characters and catchy music.  It kind of felt like a last "hoorah" for me.  So, thanks K for knowing I would love that!  Who knows when I'll make it to a play again??

Well, people, I know you can never really know these things...but, I really think she's going to be here soon.  I won't go into details, but I've been having some signs that things are "moving".  And when I told my midwife about them today her eyes got big and she said, "Well, it sounds like you're getting ready!"  I know that doesn't mean a WHOLE lot...and you can be "getting ready" for several weeks.  But, it's exciting to think that it really could be "any day now"! 

No comments: