25 October 2008

Saying Goodbye


"Live life possessed
Exceed your expectations
And never, never give up."

Lisa & Doug in the Bahamas

Last week the unimaginable happened.  As one of Doug's friends said at his service, "We lost a giant."  Wednesday morning of last week we received the news that Doug White, Lisa's dad, was killed in a car accident.  Those of us who know and love the Whites are still reeling with shock over the death of such an amazing man.  Especially since it hasn't even been a year since we lost Lisa.  I've struggled since the day we got that dreaded phone call with what (if anything) I wanted to say on this blog about losing Doug.  And I'm not really sure that I have anything to say...there really are no words.

But, what I would like to say is how much I want to take a piece of Doug's spirit with me in all that I do.  Everyone who spoke at his service (personal, professional and family) had one thing in common to say...which is that Doug "lived life to its fullest."  And he did.  There is no wondering where Lisa got that quality from.  Doug and Lynn White have taught both Kit and me so much about treating your friends as family and your family as friends.  The entire White clan are some of the most generous people I have ever known.  And I wish so much to carry their spirit of giving into the lives that God places in my path.

Please keep the White family in your thoughts and prayers.  So much loss...it really is unimaginable.  Hold the ones you love tight.  We really have no guarantee of what tomorrow is going to bring.

...in their element

Doug White
October 11, 1941 - October 14, 2008

No comments: