25 May 2008

17 Weeks

I've decided I should start doing weekly updates so I can keep up with all the changes.  Plus, I have been so bad about journaling and I want to be able to remember exactly when things started happening.  Also, now I feel like there is more to report than just nausea, nausea, puke, sleep, nausea. ;)

I think the biggest change I've experienced in the last few weeks is weight gain!  Somehow even though the baby is only about 5 oz...I've already managed to pack on 10 pounds.  And none of this new weight seems to be going to a cute little basketball-sized baby bump.  Oh no people, this weight does not discriminate!  It has been very happy to settle on my face, my arms and most noticeably my chest.  Not sure how fat on my arms is helping the little one...but, I won't question! ;)  I don't think I'm eating too much now.  But, I'm sure the 6-7 meals a day and non-stop grazing I was doing to keep nausea away in the first trimester contributed.  Not to mention the 500 calorie smoothies that I was craving daily for about 2 months.  Oops!

Along with the other parts of my body...my belly has been expanding too.  And any thoughts of wearing pre-preggo clothes are gone.  I don't think that I look pregnant and I'm definitely not ready for full-on cutesy maternity clothes.  But, skinny jeans are out!  I've been wearing some maternity pants & shorts.  And I have to tell you...elastic is my new best friend!  Who knew it could feel so good?! ;)  Luckily, (as I affectionately call them) "fat shirts" are in style, so I've been able to find a few wearable non-preggo shirts at Target.  But they aren't the most flattering for my body type, so I still get winks and smiles when I wear them at work.  Basically, they make me look pregnant even though I really don't (if that makes any sense!).  People at work have also been commenting on my "glow".  I'm not sure I really buy into the "pregnancy glow" thing.  I think what is closer to truth is that for 2 months straight you've been so green and nauseous that you can barely muster a smirk.  So, now that you are actually feeling good and smiling people mistake it for a glow! ;)  Just a thought.

And speaking of work, I've slowly been coming out of the closet over the last few weeks which is fun and weird at the same time.  Being at a hospital, I work with alot of people.  And there are even more people that I am acquainted with, but don't really get into personal stuff.  You never really think about how awkward it is to make that kind of announcement with someone you don't talk to on a regular basis.  So, it's been a slow process.  And I've told a few of my friends that it's fine if they "let it leak" to whoever.

I should start feeling "flutters" in the next week or two.  I'm very excited about that.  Last week I had these strange tuggings on the top of my abdomen.  I'm not sure what they were, but they felt kind of like muscle spasms.  They weren't located where the baby is...so, I'm sure it wasn't movement I was feeling.  It was probably my uterus growing or something else shifting to get out of the way of my uterus.  Either way, it was weird and just another reminder of all the gloriously funky things my body is doing. 

I think I can safely say that I am feeling better.  Woo-hoo!!  I do still have waves of nausea, but they aren't regular and don't last too long.  I've also found a direct correlation between lack of sleep and nausea.  So, there's even more incentive to pass out early and get the 11 hours of sleep that my body seems to think it deserves.  We've been traveling so much lately I haven't been able to get on a regular exercise schedule.  I'm hoping to start that this week.  I've found a prenatal yoga class that meets on Wed mornings that I'm going to check out.  It should work out perfect since I don't work on Wed.

All in all, I am very happy that things seem to be progressing well.  Aside from the brief moments of worry that all mothers have, I think I am emotionally handling things well, too.  Thanks for reading and sharing in all the wonderful changes.

1 comment:

Lesli said...

It was so great to see you last weekend! I'm glad we could all get together. You look so cute, too! I know you don't feel like it right now, but you do. :o) I hope you continue to feel better & better!! Love ya!